Skip to main content

Work verses Effort

Writing wise, I'm running into an issue more often than not these days.

On the one hand, there is the "Work" of writing: Putting those words down on paper, editing them, organizing them in an entertaining way, plotting, research, and all of that.

On the other hand, there is the "Effort" of writing: Doing the social media thing (such as this blog, or my Facebook page, etc). I use these marketing tools as a means of recording what my work is doing, where it is going, and just as a kind of journal du jour. That's where the Effort presides.

The heart of the matter is that I am a relatively introverted fellow. I'll occasionally pop my head out of my warren, happily hang out with like-minded folks, quickly exhaust my social reserves, then scamper back to the safety zone (while hyper-analyzing every conversation, pointing out where I screwed something up).

However; I like people (most of 'em anyway).

Anyhew, here's this weeks journal from the Greenshore game design front:

Aug 29:
Entering day 3 of basement cleaning, stressed about… everything. Completed the physical combat portion yesterday, which unlocked a few concepts about the other facets of combat (Mystical and Chi / Psychic). Looking forward to moving on / bouncing back and forth between combat and character development. Been thinking about skills a lot lately and have to jot a few things down…
Aug 30:
Insurance guy and clean up crew show up today for the basement. Looking forward to loosing myself in the writing this morning! Deep in the chi/psychic stuff. Slowly expanding the character sheet as well. The book series focus is on magic, with the chi/psychic stuff serving as a toolkit for a few antagonists. Trying to keep the character sheet a 2-pager; front page being the combat / skill crunch, second page being the finesse mechanics and Powers lists…
Aug 31:
Psychic mechanics clean up day and then tweaking the Chi. Each of these areas have a buy-it-keep-it aspect to them and are much more rigid than the mystic stuff. I feel like I’m short-stacking this side of the game and might put notes together for a Psy-Chi book someday...
Sept 2:
Yah, I wrote yesterday. Never did any notes ‘cause I was too into designing Powers and concepts for the Chi abilities. Wrote a LOT as I waited for the tear-out crew to nuke the drywall in the basement. Only lost a central wall area and a couple of pillars. Today’s focus is going to be all about magic. I’m transferring the magic notes I have from the book’s wiki and formatting them into the game rules…
Sept 3:
Trxf of notes a success! Now I’m massaging them into the ruleset…
Sept 4:

Family bike hike yesterday. Achy shoulders, but a nice time! Still massaging those rules / spells into the ruleset…

Write on, everyone!
-Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schools out!

The summer vacation season is in bloom! Kids everywhere! Good thing I like to write at 5 a.m. Mmmmmmm coffee. I'm hamming away on Book II of the series. It's coming together nicely. We've had a murder and our good hero has entrenched himself deeply into the local wizard politics. 6000+ words this week! Such a weird juxtaposition when most of my day involves Pokemon cards, Legos, and bike rides. This might be the year my family enters the world of RPGs. Yah, this blurb was short and sweet, but I've got to get back to the shores of Lake Superior! -Dave

Speaking of the In-between

Only knocked out 3000 words this week... But it was one of those 'top 10 best writing weeks' kind of week. A plot-a-licious plot-y plot-plot-plot kind of week. Last month, I wrote a short story that links the antagonists of Greenshores' Book I to Book II. This past week detailed the First Act arc in a second short story, allowing me to plum the depths of the antagonists even further than the general plotting allowed. Sure, I've got the characters detailed out and all of that. I've got Act I all mapped out in a chapter-by-chapter checklist. However, to do the 'walk a mile in their shoes' thing via a short story brings new expanses to the character (as well as some nifty plot devices that will further strengthen Book II and the act's overall arc. I should elaborate on something. At the heart of Book II is a straight-forward murder mystery. This is a new genre for me. Sort of. I grew up on Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christy. My rainy Sundays usual

Well... It's got "Green" in the title...

Hi all. Well, today I shot out another book to a contest Blockgarten: Gaam's Green Valley This little ditty is a very weird fiction work. It was kicked off back in 2015 during a particularly nasty oil change. Yah, you read that correctly. Okay, story time: It was early Spring, after the thaws. Probably around the month of March. It was overcast, cold, wet, and my sinuses were closed for business. It was early and there had been very little coffee (like, NONE) in my life at that time, due to fasting for a blood draw. I had settled into a nasty mood for a nasty day. So I'm sitting in the waiting room with my iPad in hand. To further embrace the moment, I decided to go full-on gloom and doom: I began browsing through Lovecraft works. The browsing took me into the history of the Lovecraft properties (apparently there are three broad definitions of them: those works that H.P. wanted to give to the world to inspire other authors via family, later works own