Skip to main content

About "Ashland"...

It dawned on me that should this book series be published, there will be certain folks who start pointing out the flaws in the facts about Ashland. Being the kind of guy who likes to stay out in front of such issues, I thought that I would set a couple of things straight...

"Ashland does not have that geography"
Yep... and nope. From the macro point of view, most of the Ashland in this series is written to the scale of our Real World.
However, there are changes in the landscape caused by a ritual cast a few centuries prior. Greenshore is located on a plot of land that has a much larger (and much less soggy) footprint than its Real World counterpart. The Old Hollow is in a lumber region lifted up out of the marshy landscape by the creation of the Omni Magna some few hundred years ago. The artist guild's mall is located on public park in town.
Many of these changes came about from the arrival of the various mystical fonts, which spurred landscape or developmental changes in the immediate area.

"The mystic fonts are all different in size and concept"
Yes they are. Each has its unique 'realm' of power.
You see, in the development of the magic system that governs this series, I had a LOT of history (both Real World and fabricated) to interweave. From these histories came font-oriented events. The initial ritual that set off the local fonts was cast by individuals with little concern toward the techno-social evolution that would come. Thus, when further spell-castings were made to individual fonts by the later generations, changes occurred: one font was shattered into nine 'smaller' powers, another became a binary gateway, a spell cast with Classical Greek connections broke a third font into four 'gardens'...

Individual spellcasting needs and reactions between changes of the fonts themselves created change in each mystical source.

"Where do you draw the line, in a mystical sense?"
Reality is my go-to. It's where the characters have been born into and have grown. The world of Greenshore is one reality over from our own. The mystical elements are part of the planet's history, but these magical effects and personalities are drawn to whatever magical presence they become aware of. From this, magic 'society' is a quiet, little-involved subset of the Real. The 'wizards' who are aware of it and have figured out how to use it are a sub-set of the magic 'society' (a minority within a hidden minority woven into Mundane Reality).

Thus, drivers honk their cars horns as the lights go blink blink blink and that hawk overhead might be a wizard trekking back home...

-Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schools out!

The summer vacation season is in bloom! Kids everywhere! Good thing I like to write at 5 a.m. Mmmmmmm coffee. I'm hamming away on Book II of the series. It's coming together nicely. We've had a murder and our good hero has entrenched himself deeply into the local wizard politics. 6000+ words this week! Such a weird juxtaposition when most of my day involves Pokemon cards, Legos, and bike rides. This might be the year my family enters the world of RPGs. Yah, this blurb was short and sweet, but I've got to get back to the shores of Lake Superior! -Dave

Speaking of the In-between

Only knocked out 3000 words this week... But it was one of those 'top 10 best writing weeks' kind of week. A plot-a-licious plot-y plot-plot-plot kind of week. Last month, I wrote a short story that links the antagonists of Greenshores' Book I to Book II. This past week detailed the First Act arc in a second short story, allowing me to plum the depths of the antagonists even further than the general plotting allowed. Sure, I've got the characters detailed out and all of that. I've got Act I all mapped out in a chapter-by-chapter checklist. However, to do the 'walk a mile in their shoes' thing via a short story brings new expanses to the character (as well as some nifty plot devices that will further strengthen Book II and the act's overall arc. I should elaborate on something. At the heart of Book II is a straight-forward murder mystery. This is a new genre for me. Sort of. I grew up on Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christy. My rainy Sundays usual

Well... It's got "Green" in the title...

Hi all. Well, today I shot out another book to a contest Blockgarten: Gaam's Green Valley This little ditty is a very weird fiction work. It was kicked off back in 2015 during a particularly nasty oil change. Yah, you read that correctly. Okay, story time: It was early Spring, after the thaws. Probably around the month of March. It was overcast, cold, wet, and my sinuses were closed for business. It was early and there had been very little coffee (like, NONE) in my life at that time, due to fasting for a blood draw. I had settled into a nasty mood for a nasty day. So I'm sitting in the waiting room with my iPad in hand. To further embrace the moment, I decided to go full-on gloom and doom: I began browsing through Lovecraft works. The browsing took me into the history of the Lovecraft properties (apparently there are three broad definitions of them: those works that H.P. wanted to give to the world to inspire other authors via family, later works own