Skip to main content

Tools 'an Rulez

Welcome!

The past couple of weeks have been dedicated to expanding the mystical buffet line. Yep, I've been creating spells and magic items. Why? With nine Core mystical fonts, as well as a number of fringe groups, I feel the presence of a fantasy-authors demon: The Mystic Deux Ex Machina.

Got a problem that might screw up the plot? Well your wizard just reaches into the little 'ole black bag of tricks and POOF! Problem solved! See? We don't need to worry about going back and tweaking plot arcs and character development. We certainly do not have to worry about tension in the story! Just magic your way outta the problem.

Everyone does it!
James Bond has that tech-magic thing Q gave him...
Narcissa Malfoy's completely unexpected little lie (see book 7)...
A bunch 'o minor characters in the Hobbit bringing BIG change to the world at large...

As you can see, it works. Up to a point.

My goal is, as I work through books 2-5 (its an arc thing), I want to pre-build as many spells and mystic devices that makes sense for the various individuals and groups to possess. These are things that define the backgrounds and histories of the lot, not to fix the plot. The exception to this would be spontaneous spells, built-on-the-fly magic items, or taking advantage of the environment in general. That, of course is immersion...

Yadda yadda yadda. Ok. Rambling.

Sooooo, I've been building magic stuff for the Fonts. Its been fun. Bonus goodie from this project: PLOT HOOKS! I would rather my spells and items cause as many problems that they fix (this magic system follows a spell feedback x3 kind of thinking). Also, it provides a great motivation for some of the antagonists in the series (providing favors and mystic knowledge for other favors, etc.). I'm already solidifying the next seven books!

Man oh man, I gotta tell ya; write what you love and what fuels the creative tank. The positive flow of energy is a wonderful thing!

Hang loose and write on!
-Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schools out!

The summer vacation season is in bloom! Kids everywhere! Good thing I like to write at 5 a.m. Mmmmmmm coffee. I'm hamming away on Book II of the series. It's coming together nicely. We've had a murder and our good hero has entrenched himself deeply into the local wizard politics. 6000+ words this week! Such a weird juxtaposition when most of my day involves Pokemon cards, Legos, and bike rides. This might be the year my family enters the world of RPGs. Yah, this blurb was short and sweet, but I've got to get back to the shores of Lake Superior! -Dave

Kicking off the Writing Season!

Greenshore is coming back online after the Summer break. We have a new NaNoWriMo coming up in a couple of months. I'm happy to report that book 1 has been submitted to DAW and that book 4 is under development for November's NaNoWriMo writing burst. This past Spring and Summer has been a busy one at my end. With the new position of Head of Circulation down at the WJN and the learning curve of being a part of 33 interconnected libraries spread across four counties, things have been busy! I'm happy to report that work-life balance has been restored! My writing group is starting up Sept 9th. My tabletop group is also starting up on Sept 21st. I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting some new folks! -Dave

Speaking of the In-between

Only knocked out 3000 words this week... But it was one of those 'top 10 best writing weeks' kind of week. A plot-a-licious plot-y plot-plot-plot kind of week. Last month, I wrote a short story that links the antagonists of Greenshores' Book I to Book II. This past week detailed the First Act arc in a second short story, allowing me to plum the depths of the antagonists even further than the general plotting allowed. Sure, I've got the characters detailed out and all of that. I've got Act I all mapped out in a chapter-by-chapter checklist. However, to do the 'walk a mile in their shoes' thing via a short story brings new expanses to the character (as well as some nifty plot devices that will further strengthen Book II and the act's overall arc. I should elaborate on something. At the heart of Book II is a straight-forward murder mystery. This is a new genre for me. Sort of. I grew up on Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christy. My rainy Sundays usual