Skip to main content

Work verses Effort

Writing wise, I'm running into an issue more often than not these days.

On the one hand, there is the "Work" of writing: Putting those words down on paper, editing them, organizing them in an entertaining way, plotting, research, and all of that.

On the other hand, there is the "Effort" of writing: Doing the social media thing (such as this blog, or my Facebook page, etc). I use these marketing tools as a means of recording what my work is doing, where it is going, and just as a kind of journal du jour. That's where the Effort presides.

The heart of the matter is that I am a relatively introverted fellow. I'll occasionally pop my head out of my warren, happily hang out with like-minded folks, quickly exhaust my social reserves, then scamper back to the safety zone (while hyper-analyzing every conversation, pointing out where I screwed something up).

However; I like people (most of 'em anyway).

Anyhew, here's this weeks journal from the Greenshore game design front:

Aug 29:
Entering day 3 of basement cleaning, stressed about… everything. Completed the physical combat portion yesterday, which unlocked a few concepts about the other facets of combat (Mystical and Chi / Psychic). Looking forward to moving on / bouncing back and forth between combat and character development. Been thinking about skills a lot lately and have to jot a few things down…
Aug 30:
Insurance guy and clean up crew show up today for the basement. Looking forward to loosing myself in the writing this morning! Deep in the chi/psychic stuff. Slowly expanding the character sheet as well. The book series focus is on magic, with the chi/psychic stuff serving as a toolkit for a few antagonists. Trying to keep the character sheet a 2-pager; front page being the combat / skill crunch, second page being the finesse mechanics and Powers lists…
Aug 31:
Psychic mechanics clean up day and then tweaking the Chi. Each of these areas have a buy-it-keep-it aspect to them and are much more rigid than the mystic stuff. I feel like I’m short-stacking this side of the game and might put notes together for a Psy-Chi book someday...
Sept 2:
Yah, I wrote yesterday. Never did any notes ‘cause I was too into designing Powers and concepts for the Chi abilities. Wrote a LOT as I waited for the tear-out crew to nuke the drywall in the basement. Only lost a central wall area and a couple of pillars. Today’s focus is going to be all about magic. I’m transferring the magic notes I have from the book’s wiki and formatting them into the game rules…
Sept 3:
Trxf of notes a success! Now I’m massaging them into the ruleset…
Sept 4:

Family bike hike yesterday. Achy shoulders, but a nice time! Still massaging those rules / spells into the ruleset…

Write on, everyone!
-Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FLOODED (with ideas)

Had a storm two weeks ago. Basement attempted to turn into a pool. We won this battle... The up side is that I got inspired to get off of my butt and begin REALLY  working on a RPG rule set for the whole Greenshore book series. It's something I've been kicking around for the past year or so, but I've been putting all my writing energy into the first three books, plotting the series, and filling in an offline wiki with all my Greenshore musings and such. In late August, I gave myself a week to get the framework for the RPG down, if only to have something to play around with in my spare time. With the flood came a desire to simply step out of the normal routine and fully embrace something game-like! The weird thing is, I was also inspired to begin keeping an electronic journal of the day to day along with the writing. Below is the first week of said journal... Design Notes:   Aug 21: Day 3 of creating the Game! After looking over the plans for the book series and al...

Tools 'an Rulez

Welcome! The past couple of weeks have been dedicated to expanding the mystical buffet line. Yep, I've been creating spells and magic items. Why? With nine Core mystical fonts, as well as a number of fringe groups, I feel the presence of a fantasy-authors demon: The Mystic Deux Ex Machina. Got a problem that might screw up the plot? Well your wizard just reaches into the little 'ole black bag of tricks and POOF! Problem solved! See? We don't need to worry about going back and tweaking plot arcs and character development. We certainly do not have to worry about tension in the story! Just magic your way outta the problem. Everyone does it! James Bond has that tech-magic thing Q gave him... Narcissa Malfoy's completely unexpected little lie (see book 7)... A bunch 'o minor characters in the Hobbit bringing BIG change to the world at large... As you can see, it works. Up to a point. My goal is, as I work through books 2-5 (its an arc thing), I want to pre-b...

Getting to Know You...

Hello all! Back to the reality of the blog-o-sphere. I just returned from a three week tour of the Greenshore grounds, traveled back through her history, forged something close to a hundred effects, spells, and mystic items for the locations our hapless hero(s) will discover... Dizzying, surreal, and lots of creative monkey fun! In an effort to head off a couple of issues that I foresee in a number of upcoming books, I've taken the liberty to create a buffet line of interred mystics in the Greenshore catacombs. That required me to take a long, hard look at an area of the complex named the "Oodana Circle". This location broke ground in 1895 to house 13 guardian mystics. Yep, I wrote the occupants of each bungalow for the full 123 years of service. The history of the place had already been neatly filled out, so it was simply a matter of determining who lived where when what was happening. I moved between that madness and filling the various vaults of the vario...